Its an issue on ALL of them, not just the 70's. The only models with the recall are the 450SL's. The rest of them still have the problem though. If you buy the car I do have a subframe available for it. Its really not that hard to change out.

Wakin wrote:

I took a look at a 1985 380SL this weekend. The guy that had it for sale had quite the setup, and after a test drive of the car, he offered to put it up on his lift so I could take a look underneath.

While we had it in the air, I asked hime what year the subframes went bad - he said it was the 1970's model, and they had fixed the issue by the 80's. He then showed me on the car where they went bad - well, guess what - right were he pointed was a crack in this car's subframe -about 1/2 inch was all that was holding it. He about %*^%* himself when he saw it. He then said no problem, he would take it to the dealership for the repair.

Anyone know if this is still a recall issue, or if he will have to pay to fix it? Anyone know how much that kind of repair is, and is it safe after it is done?

Thanks

Dave Wakin