That doesn't sound like the typical failure as I understand it, and I kinda
doubt it could be covered under the subframe campaign. My '81 380SL had the
old style subframe and a couple of the A-arm tabs were cracking when I
bought it. I had had them welded, but when I went to the dealer for another
matter and brought the repair to their attention, they had the MBUSA
regional service rep come out to take a look. The rep had the subframe
replaced by the dealer. I paid only for new subframe mounts and engine
mounts. They did the R&R and alignment. The difference between the old and
new style subframes is that the new ones have the tabs that hold the A-arms
reinforced with a kind of a box section on either side of the tab. My guess
is that, even if you had cracking in the new style in a place that could
cause suspension failure, they may possibly replace the subframe, as there
is a history of subframe cracking and failures. The liability, should one
fail and cause someone to get hurt, may really be the deciding issue. The
mention of that fact may tip the scales if the rep appears to be declining
the repair. In any case, It's entirely up to the MBUSA field service rep.
I'd also assume that if you have a really good relationship with your dealer
it could go a long way towards getting MBUSA support. The original
purchaser, at the dealership where it was purchased, always has the best
bargaining position, especially if they see you come in on a regular basis.
But again, since in your case it is the chassis rather than the subframe,
they will likely decline to perform that repair as a warranty repair. Now,
if they do, please let me know as I have just discovered a small crack
starting in one of my chassis engine mount support horns on my SD. ;^)

Barry