Are there differences in the two cars?

--R

Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:

BZZZZZT, WRONG. They will only fix 450 models for free, no other model is covered under the class action.

Rich Thomas wrote:

MB will fix it for free, you might have to pay for some ancillary parts. My buddy had this done on his 79 450SL a few months ago, the dealer renewed some rubber bits and a couple other things, I think they charged him about $225 for that stuff. A good deal as these things were easy to do with the subframe being replaced.

His mech had told him it would cost him $2500 to fix it, I posted the question to the list, got the right answer, went with him to the mech to look at it, casually mentioned I thought MB would fix it for free, he hemmed hawwed a bit and said uh yeah I think that might be right. He is no longer my buddy's mech after many years.

The car drives very well now, was wearing the front tires badly and handled like a fat pig. I also found a broken rear stab link that was rubbing the brake shield on turns and sounded hellacious, the mech had some story about that gonna be big bucks too for rear diff or axles etc. $35 part, 30 min replacement.

--R