I had emailed the guy who had the car for sale (1985 380SL), and this is
what he had to say:

"The subframe was updated in 1979 and the last of the 450SLs and all 380/560
|R107's have the updated subframe. I called my old mechanic in Virginia and
he says the R107 subframes that MB is shipping now (yes, the 450SL recall is
still in effect!) are the same as the one on my 380SL. He has heard of a few
higher mileage cars cracking/breaking their mounts, but they just weld and
align. The only time they have replaced a subframe on the 380/560 series was
when the mounts on both sides had failed."

The car in question was also on ebay, item 180001897460 and just ended a
little while ago. I was actually surprised to see he did not update the
descriptyion to reflect what we found. I wonder if he plans on telling the
buyer.

Dave W

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>