I don’t believe overfilling would cause that unless it was majorly overfilled,
and then again, I can’t think of a way that excessive ATF would cause a problem.

When you overfill the fluid will cause cavitation, but even then the typical
complaint is intermittent operation or slipping as the air in the fluid will
allow pressure to drop momentarily in the clutches.

I would definitely check levels and suck out the excess and go from there.

-D