I owned and operated an aircraft component parts supply business for about
20 years. During that time, many 727's were put into "stand down" status in
storage yards here in the USA and warehouses full of component parts were
being sold off [which I bought with documentation]. The majority of sales
went into Africa, some into South America. All customers were quite happy
to have a good source of airworthy parts [with proper paperwork] during
that "era"..
Expendable parts like sets of tires, hydraulic flap actuators, and control
system parts were in high demand, because production of new parts to
support the worldwide fleet was drying up.
Engine overhaul parts were in very high demand also during that time. I
delivered, they paid, we were both happy.