That 1 ton had a 3.73 or whatever rear end. Forgot to check the other truck. I would prefer a 3/4 ton for daily use, as the dually is pretty big, but would be nice if I did ever start hauling more than 1 car at once. For now I just haul one at a time so Im sure 3/4 is the way to go.

Jim Cathey wrote:

Personally I'd go with the 05'. But then again I guess I'd want more info on the rear end... I know I've heard the newer models (like since 98) you have to be sure not to lose fuel pressure or they tend to take out the IP...

So far as I know, only the 24-valve non-common-rail engines have this
issue.  98.5-02?  The 12-valvers and the '03+ (?) merely stop running if
the fuel delivery system plugs up or dies.  Fix filter and/or lift pump
and you're on the road again.

Well I went and test drove a couple of dodge cummins today. First up was a 05 1 ton dually, long bed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive , with leaver in the floor for switching, with 6 speed manual. I liked it for the fact that
it has the 6 speed, seems like it would get better mileage than the
autos.  It needs all new tires pretty soon, especially in the back and

It will get better mileage, and likely will last longer too.  But 6X
tire price is definitely worse than 4X.  Periodically.  I wouldn't want
a dualie unless I was towing/hauling heavy a lot, but I just hate
training wheels.  Lotsa guys strip off the fender skirts by accident,
since the truck is so much wider in back than in front.

probably alignment.  Rode like a 1 ton of course.  Shifted good.  Is a
BIG truck.  Seems like the rear end was howling.  Are they supposed to
howl on these? Price as 23k had 101k miles. Next truck was a 03 2500,

They don't howl, something is wrong. Also note that the dualie is likely equipped with the 4.10:1 (?) rear end, and so will not get the good mileage of the 3.73:1 (again, ?), but will be welcome if you exclusively tow heavy.
For nothing heavier than a car on a trailer I'd go with the taller rear
end, you'll get better mileage.  In the common-rail models, you can also
get a 1-ton single rear wheel model if that suits your needs better, but
for a car on a trailer I'd think a 3/4 ton would be adequate, and would
offer _slightly_ better unloaded comfort.

Highway miles tend to be gentle miles, the Cummins is as robust as
our beloved OM617, if not more so.  100 kmi is just broken in, I
wouldn't worry about it if the condition of the rest of the truck
looked good.  Thrash will out, so to speak.

-- Jim