I'd price around to see what a rear end shop would charge to do a complete rebuild on the rear end, and work them down that plus some for aggravation, and then if you need to you could just pickup a whole axel from a boneyard and swap it out yourself and come out ahead..

---------Robert

Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
Well I went and test drove a couple of dodge cummins today. First up was a 05 1 ton dually, long bed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive , with leaver in the floor for switching, with 6 speed manual. I liked it for the fact that it has the 6 speed, seems like it would get better mileage than the autos. It needs all new tires pretty soon, especially in the back and probably alignment. Rode like a 1 ton of course. Shifted good. Is a BIG truck. Seems like the rear end was howling. Are they supposed to howl on these? Price as 23k had 101k miles. Next truck was a 03 2500, short bed, electronic 4 wheel drive, automatic, 4 door. It had leather, rode smoother, didnt pull to one side. Price on it was 21.5k. I can say I REALLY love that cummins motor after driving one of them. What do you cummins ownere thing about this? Good prices? Keep looking? What kind of mileage will that 1 ton get with the 6 speed? Will it be worse than the other truck with automatic 3/4 ton? The thing that had me worried was the rear end howling on the other 1 ton truck.