Kaleb,
Will the dealership cover the rear end or will they offer a warranty?  I've
heard of the 6 speed Cummins getting 22-24 mpg, but of course that's under 65
mph.  I just towed a 6k pound camper back from Florida with the Powerstroke.
At 65 - 70 mph I averaged 14 mpg. Felt like it wasn't even behind me.  I like
my Ford, and on the trip to and from Fla, I saw more Ford diesels by far than
any other brand.  It was rare that a 3/4 or 1 ton truck wasn't diesel.
One of my mechanics at work has a 2004 2500 Duramax with the Allison tranny.
He tows a 10k pound 5th wheel and swears by the Allison, he bought it used with
the remaining factory warranty to 100k miles, it had 33k on it and he paid
around 30k. (Ouch)

James Jetton
1987 300 SDL 144k
1996 Ford F-250 Powerstroke 176k
1968 Silver Streak Atlas Deluxe 28'

Kaleb said:
Well I went and test drove a couple of dodge cummins today. First up was
a 05 1 ton dually, long bed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive , with leaver in the
floor for switching, with 6 speed manual. I liked it for the fact that
it has the 6 speed, seems like it would get better mileage than the
autos. It needs all new tires pretty soon, especially in the back and
probably alignment. Rode like a 1 ton of course. Shifted good. Is a
BIG truck. Seems like the rear end was howling. Are they supposed to
howl on these? Price as 23k had 101k miles. Next truck was a 03 2500,
short bed, electronic 4 wheel drive, automatic, 4 door. It had leather,
rode smoother, didnt pull to one side. Price on it was 21.5k. I can
say I REALLY love that cummins motor after driving one of them. What do
you cummins ownere thing about this? Good prices? Keep looking? What
kind of mileage will that 1 ton get with the 6 speed? Will it be worse
than the other truck with automatic 3/4 ton? The thing that had me
worried was the rear end howling on the other 1 ton truck.
--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
91 300D 2.5 Turbo, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 87 420SEL, 87 300SDL,