I accidentally hit two keys on an ATM the other day and it crashed. It
rebooted automatically as Windows XP. It was amazing that a bank would use
Windows XP when it is the target of so many attacks.

I used to work for a company that made banking computers, from before
the IBM PC even existed.  It always _amazed_ me about their desire for
'cheap' commonly-available computers, given their vulnerability to
attack, etc.  Our marketing department really fell down, given the
huge (then, and ever-growing) risks of viruses, worms, shady employees
with a floppy in their pocket...  Our stuff was immune to all of it
('cause it was completely different), and practically immune to anything
like that because we actually _thought_ about security issues before
ever deploying any piece of hardware or software.  For example, the
floppy doors had key locks on them; though we eventually used Ethernet,
we did _not_ use TCP/IP (though it's there), non-Intel CPU's, etc.

But they didn't care, just wanted the ability to play Solitaire or
something stupid like that.  The last non-PC stuff is, however,
still in use at BofA branches around here that once upon a time
were SeaFirst branches.  I bank there, and it makes me smile to
see the gear still running, especially since I had a hand in
designing so much of it.

It's still running in my basement, controlling the sprinklers and
lights.  Has been for years.  One of the critical ASICs died in one
board, I just swapped in another one from the pile I salvaged before
I left.  24/7 operation on a small UPS.

It's on the Ethernet, which is connected to this wireless link.
I defy anyone to even find it, much less break in!

-- Jim