In a message dated 10/30/2006 3:31:31 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Gump has  decided to destroy her rear flex disk.   I am thinking about
what else I need for my Rusty order.  Should I do the whole drive  shaft
with center bearing and both disk?

Clay,

If there is no reason to think the front one has been serviced more  recently
than the rear one, I would change them both.  The environment by  the front
one is likely worse, given the proximity to the engine.  Same  with the center
support rubber.  Change it.  That leaves the $20  bearing  in the center
support, which is now close at hand, and may be  perfect, but I would change it
also.

The 72 drive shaft is balanced as a unit and the two halfs must be marked  to
insure the exact reassembly of same.  The drive shaft can be removed in  one
piece by prying the shaft forward at the rear coupling.  It might even  slide
in the slip joint, even without loosening the clamp nut.  Anyway,  having it
out  will facilitate the proper marking of the two halfs.

On my 74 240D, the clamp nut was so tight, I couldn't break it loose with a
36 inch pipe wrench, with the shaft in a big vice.  The two halfs must be
separated to replace either the rubber support donut or the bearing.  I  think
still have the support, but not the car!

Go for it.  Also consider replacing the differential mount, which, if
original, is probably transmitting gear noise to the body.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles