Thanks, Marshall. The URL reference gave me a much better feel for what's involved. It seems that the only tool I don't have is the press, but it probably would still get done more quickly and with less grief if I take it to our local indy in New Jersey.

(The local indy's advice was to just drive it until the noise gets to be continuous and just too much to tolerate, then fix it!)

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Booth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 124 rear axle CV joint repair advice?

Werner Fehlauer wrote:
I'm getting occasional "crunch" noises from what appears to be the left rear
axle CV joints, and would like to learn more about what is involved in
repairing/replacing worn parts. For example, how much work is involved in
disassembly; what special tools are required; any special techniques that
would suggest that an experienced M-B mechanic should be used? And if one
side needs repair, is the recommended approach to do both sides?
I assume that Rusty would have all the requisite parts, but knowing what to
order so as to put the car up on a lift only once would be a big help.
The car is a 1990 300D 2.5, with 226k miles.

To repair the CV joint is NOT for the faint of heart or for someone
without considerable experience and skill with shop tools.

Here's a site that describes what can be done:

http://boostnbenz.1baddsm.com/DIY/CVboots/

It is usually much more effective (and results in a better more reliable
fix) to purchase good used axles from a reliable source (Potomac German
Auto, etc.) and install them. Based on the reports I've assembled,
rebuilt axles available today are NOT desirable/reliable. New ones are
expensive.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.