It's true that US Americans are, on the average, ignorant of anything  beyond
the USA. But that is mostly due to our geography. I drove 17  hours from Kansas
City to Greeneville, SC. There are regional  differences, but pretty much the
same. 897 miles...1,440 km.  Now  Barcelona, Spain to Prague, Czech Republic is
1,679 km. Not sure the  route...but probably, Spain, France, Germany, Czech
Republic...maybe  through Switzerland if a southern route is taken. In
Switzerland alone  4 languages are spoke (German, French, Italian,
Romansch)...Europeans  are forced to think beyond their borders. We are not.

  I firmly believe (OK, here is where I will get banned for being a Nazi  - FYI
I am NOT A NAZI) that different peoples IN GENERAL have different
characteristics and national qualities. Americans are FRIENDLY -  probably the
friendliest people in the world (some Euros interpret this  as insincerity) and
Americans are also very "can-do" people...positive,  DIY, independent
(sometimes to a fault). Germans have described this as  the "ability to cut
through paperwork."

  Well, my 2 cents.

  Chris (who is so non-American, I only take a shower once a week. My German
penpals found that to be totally normal)

dave walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Q) what specifically identifies a USA
person?

A) Ignorance and disinterest of anything and anyplace outside of the USA.

-Dave Walton

On 11/28/06, Christopher McCann  wrote:
>  I was quite surprised when a Mexican pointed out to me, "Hey, we are
> Americans too!" So if North and South Americans are Americans, then  what are
> residents of the USA? USA-ers? USers? Users? (that would be  Canadians with
> their pot law! - laugh! no flame!)...Seriously, aside  from American, what
> specifically identifies a USA person?
>
>   CM
>

> Fmiser  wrote:  rumor has it that [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > > <
> > > and many  Amerikuns call "parking lights">>
> > >
> > I find your continued use of the term "Amerikuns" insulting and
> > demeaning.  You may think it's oh-so-trendy looking down at the
> > common herd but I find it a  bit much. I would think that as a
> > newish contributor to this list, you would  be a bit more
> > circumspect.
>
> I think it is entirely appropriate to poke fun at the folks in the USA
> that think they alone are "Americans".
>
> What about Canada?
>
> And Mexico?
>
> They are both even in _North_ America.  What about all of central and
> south America? They should all qualify for the term "American" just as
> much as people from Japan, China, Korea, etc. can all be called
> "Asian".
>
> America is a _continent_ not a country!!
>
> So if Ernest uses self-imposed miss-label in a less than flattering
> fasion, I think it is eminently suitable.
>
> --         Philip, a proud patriot of the USA

> Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
> -2006 GSD, "Anke"
> -1985 300SD, 217K, "Wulf"
> -1982 300Dt, 117K, "little blue klatter box"
> -1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2006 GSD, "Anke"
-1985 300SD, 217K, "Wulf"
-1982 300Dt, 117K, "little blue klatter box"
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"

From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Nov 28 20:23:09 2006