At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, have you guys tried contact
lenses?  I remove/replace mine religiously every six to twelve weeks (the
clue to change is when things start looking like I am looking thru plastic
wrap). And for those of "our" generation, there are bi-focal contact lenses
that work great.

A set of $30-a-box lenses lasts me a year, because I clean them rather than
throwing them away.

D.

On 11/29/06, Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sunil Hari wrote:

> the real solution  - buy frames from third-world countries (i got mine
from
> india for $4) and have the most awesome lenses fit here.  The price
works
> out the same.

My optician hates cheap frames. So much that he sells some good ones
for $56 (the most that insurance usually pays for frames). He doesn't
make money on those, but he doesn't have to try to adjust crap frames
because he doesn't sell crap. I ended up paying $165 for titanium, I
intend to keep them for about ten years. I almost went for a set of
$56 frames with spring box hinges.

My system is to go to a good opthamologist who doesn't sell hardware,
and get the glasses from a good optician who isn't part of a chain.
His prices were lower than D.O.C.'s 60% off sale prices, and the lenses
are ground, not molded. I think I paid $291 total for polycarb lenses
in titanium frames. Would have been $182 with the insurance frames.

Mitch.