> <<In my case this is complicated a little by the fact that my glasses have
> a bit of a chromic aberration -- bright blue objects aren't focused to
> the same point as other colors, causing them to have an out-of-focus
> 'halo' around them.>>

I hope you are working with an Opthalmologist on this and not an Optometrist.
I have just gone through this recently with my new lenses. The first try
produced just about what you describe and so my Doc re-examined me and modified
the prescription a bit and the night vision problem is gone. No more halos or
that out-of-focus feeling.

RLE/Seattle