I got in close (but not quite THAT close -- she was married to an airline
pilot) with my eye doctor when I was stationed in DC.

Turns out that the disposable contact lenses and the $200-a-pop / clean and
reuse contact lenses come off of the same line. The only difference is the
packaging.

Perhaps it is because my first wife was from Maine, but I have that
tight-wad New England sort of stuff now ingrained. I refuse to throw away a
good contact lens unless it is ripped. Or so Doctor said, and I trust her.