Trampas wrote:
Using a normal leak detector you can charge system and let sit for an hour,
place detector probe near drain for evap, since Freon is heavier than air
the sensor will go off.

Other methods used are to place sensor in center vent and turn fan on low.
This in my experiences often gives false positive readings.
Also I thought I heard that the 300D and 90's W126/W124 had evaporator
leaks, I am sure others here can confirm this.

Evaporator leaks were almost unheard of until the mid '80s (models 124/126). Late '80s cars and many 124/126/140s had problems with evaporator leaks until the mid '90s. They were rare in model 201s (were they were easily replaced).

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)