From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2007 8:38 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mercedes Quality

> Somebody who knows more than me should point out the difference in
> Japanese QC vs German QC.  The Germans accept a certain amount of bad
> cars, and try like heck to catch them and fix them before shipping
> them, while the Japanese see any bad car as a problem in the process,
> and find a way to fix the process so that problem just doesn't happen
> anymore.  Have I got that right?

Maybe more of an asian thing rather than just Japanese, 20 years ago when we
had some contract manufacturing done in Taiwan I was sent over to look at
the initial production.  As the designing engineer I was able to look at
what they'd made.  (Which was, at that time, exactly what we would have
built locally.)  They had a pile of bad units stacked to one side, and I was
going through them one by one.  I'm sure they were worried that there was a
systematic problem, but each one was just normal (in my book) fallout.
Every one had something different wrong with it, and nothing caused me any
particular worry.

I vividly remember one instance where I determined that there was a bad PAL
device, and according to my practice I just popped it out of its socket and
smashed it, so that a bad one wouldn't be mistaken for good.  A minor
commotion ensued, one of their engineers grabbed it up and ran off with it,
carrying it like it was a valuable and delicate item.  Or a sick pet.

I don't think I'd want to have been whomever was responsible for programming
it.  I'm sure they wanted to chase down _exactly_ what was wrong with it to
see if there was some part of the process to fix.

I kind of doubt that China, however, is exhibiting this type of trait.  In
my mind they are more cowboys than that, and in a way more like us.  But I
could be wrong.

-- Jim