I enjoy these threads about Japan vs Germny vs US. Yes, there were more
problems with the US built Toyotas. (Some may remember I worked for Toyota
for 13 years)

A Japanese built car had a JT2 or JT1 VIN whilst the US made were 1T1.
Canadian made were 2T1 and ranked almost as high as the JT2 cars. The labour
force was a problem for the company. I recall finding out from my head
office colleagues that the Camry plant in Georgetown KT and the other plant
farther south, can't remember where (Alabama?), required the use of
picograms to train staff as they couldn't find enough peope that could read
English!

They also has to do mandatory drug testing on all potential employees. This
was NOT an article in the paper, this was internal
memo information.

Also, the Japanese encouraged their employees to suggest enhancements to the
assembly process and used approx 90% of the suggestions. The average Jap
worker gave 10 suggestions per year. Growing up in a GM town I saw the
difference. The average GM worker was seldom listened to....maybe 1
suggestion per year and 10% were used.

Also, the Chevy Nova owers that dared to try getting the car repaired at a
Chevy dealer were sent to Toyota who knew nothing of the car!

Jeff Zedic
London