To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 11:06 PM
Subject: [MBZ] RPM consistency and longevity of engine

The question I have thought about for some time is this: When someone puts a
lot of highway miles on a car, their engine spends many hours at
approximately the same RPM. Could this cause any inordinate wear (as opposed to varying engine speed more, gradually and smoothly of course)? I know that
when a newly-rebuilt engine is being broken in, they tell you to vary your
RPMs and not to cruise at the same speed on the highway for an extended
period. Any correleation? An benefit from driving at varying speeds over the
days of your weekly commute for example? (Not that I'd have the dedication
to do it).

I read that article on million-mile cars and one of the interviewees
mentioned that he likes to keep his speed down on the freeway. He had read
something about freight train research that revealed something like 80% of
engine wear ocurred in the top 20% of the engine's RPM range. This is what
reminded me of the question that I occasionally think about.

Brian
83 240D
00 Honda CRV
68 Dodge Coronet 500