Awesome. Thanks guys.

Brian

On 1/27/07, Tom Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The life span difference between an engine used for highway miles & an
engine used for in town miles has nothing to do with RPM variation.

The issue is that 80% of an engine's cylinder wall wear occurs during the
first 15 minutes of operation and if you think about in city driving,
you'll
realize that most of us reach our destinations in 15 minutes or less.
During
this time, the engine has not reached operating temperature & some of the
fuel dilutes the oil that is protecting the cylinder walls. This causes
excessive wear. Some call this "gasoline wash down" because it's much
worse
with a gasoline engine than a diesel engine. Gasoline wash down was a very
serious problem before fuel injection & this one issue was the real reason
most American V-8's would not go 100,000 miles. American car manufactures
tuned their cars on the rich side for performance and drive ability & the
result was even more gasoline wash down. Even in the 70's, you could put
an
American "land cruiser" on the road for 200,000 or 300,000 miles.

Most don't realize that even at operating temperature, you have a thin
layer
of oil on your cylinder walls. And without this thin layer of oil, your
top
ring would be scraping directly on your cylinder walls. The oil layer is
refreshed every time the piston makes a full stroke. The oil does not burn
off because the heat it's exposed to is drawn off into the cylinder walls.

Engine break-in is accomplished by honing a cross hatch pattern into the
cylinder walls. The cross hatch pattern acts like sand paper against the
outside edge of the rings, truing them to the contours of the cylinder
walls. And just like sand paper, the surface wears smooth as the rings are
honed. Some will tell you not to use synthetic oil during break-in but
this
is a bunch of BS. Synthetic lubricates no better than quality Dino oil.
The
real benefit of synthetic oil is its stability which allows for less
frequent oil changes.

It is true that you need to keep load & RPM down during engine break-in.
The
rings have a lot of blow by & you don't want to create enough pressure in
the crank case to blow a seal. Also, the bearings need to break in. They
don't really wear in together. The journals are very hard compared to the
bearings and it's more like any high spots are worn off the bearing
surfaces.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com