Mitch intimated:
I bought my W116SD for two reasons. Firstly, I would have paid 2-4x as much
for a good running rustfree 1980's turbo VW (snip)

See that's nutty to me. Is it just that there are fewer older VWs available
than older MBs? Or that they are so popular with young people? (I suppose a
teen or 20-something would prefer to be given a sporty-looking VW than a
123).

Or is it that a lot of those whose tastes lean toward MBs can afford newer
ones, and thus the demand is lower? (of course now we must factor in the
growing popularity of diesels among those interested in alternative fuel
possibilities).

Brian
Yes, I'm a curious person.