I would hope we have better climate prediction technology and methodologies
than those 70s scientists who thought we were in a global cooling phase.

Think:  supercomputers, satellites, GIS, etc.   Our scientific tools have
come a long way since 1977.

On 2/7/07, John Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Allan Streib wrote:
> Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>> I replace incadescent lightbulbs with cf.
>>

> What's your experience with this?  I started doing this, and found
> that they don't last any longer than incandescent, and are much more
> expensive, so I stopped.  With the lifespans I've experienced, I doubt
> that the savings in electricity is going to offset the premium I paid
> for the bulb (though I haven't actually done the math).

When I bought my house I replaced all of them with CF...  so I don't
have a $$ savings comparison, but I think I've only had one or two go
out.  Its been 2 years so far.  One thing to note with any fluorescent
bulb is that every time  you turn it on you shorten the bulbs life.  IE,
if you never turned off the bulbs you might get 5 years of use, but if
it was in a bathroom where it was turned on for 10 minutes for 6 times a
day you might get 2 years.  This might explain why I haven't had but one
or two burn out...  I always forget to turn lights off (why I got CF in
the first place) so my lights don't get cycled as much as a very power
conscious person with incandescents would cycle theirs.

If for nothing else, they are perfect for shop lights.... I had a bad
experience with a $40 fluorescent hand held light (lowes carries it..),
so went with the good old bulb on a cord light.  I went through like 3
incandescent bulbs in one day from bumping into things and the light
burning out.  Put a CF in there and it takes TONS more abuse.   I have
broken two or three though (they don't like to be dropped 2-3 feet).

> Plus don't they contain mercury?  What do you do with them when they
> burn out.

The ones I bought two years ago do.  The one I bought last week
doesn't... don't know if this is a brand thing or a industry wide change.

John