andrew strasfogel wrote:
On my 1983 300TD I can start it as Marshal and Mercedes advise, but it dies
almost immediately unless I depress the fuel pedal enough to keep the tach
at 750 rpm.  Hope to change the glow plugs once we thaw out a bit to see if
that solves the problem.

Glow plugs will NOT improve that. If you add an "afterstart glow" relay and fast heating glow plugs (sold as a kit by both Bosch and Beru) that will improve the situation. Usually the problem results from a combination of injection pump wear and injector wear with maybe just a tad of tight valve thrown in. It's often necessary to set the idle speed to 800-850 rpm during the winter (that does not solve the problem, but cures the symptom).

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)