Loren Faeth wrote:
One way is to add some algicide/water dispersant, except for Herr Booth whos cars never sit long enough to collect condensation. We were, however originally talking about a car that has set inactive for years.

I would certainly suggest a water sequestering agent in fuel that's been setting for months or years. Once the water is bound, the algae dies and there's no need for a separate algaecide (or you can drain the fuel - that's the most complex, but safest solution).

Old diesel fuel can cause many problems despite the fact that the engine may start and run on it. Whether you drain the old fuel or not, as soon as it's been replaced with clean fresh fuel you probably should run a POWERFUL fuel system cleaner thru the system and possibly even a lubricity improver or a tank or two of biodiesel B20 to free up all the moving parts in the injection system.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)