Loren Faeth wrote:
I forgot to mention, as with any diesel where a tank of fuel sits over one or more summers, there is a very high probability of algae in the tank. Before you crank it, put the shock treatment of algicide (Stanadyne or equivalent) in the tank and mix it in the best you can. Have a spare fuel filter cartridge on hand also. You can change out the filter assy. with a spin on from a OM 616/617 if you want. You will probably need to make up some hoses or get all the hoses of the newer type fir the engine you robbed the filter housing from if you do this.

The guys who work on pumps tell me that most pumps don't die from wear, they die from algae. If you ever see any black on the innards of an IP or lines containing Diesel, you need to be using algicide.

You NEVER need to use an algaecide as long as you remove ALL water from the fuel tank several times a year and buy quality fuel. Algae can't live unless there is water in the tank. They live in the water - they EAT the fuel.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)