Don't want to pay new price.  Go to Craigslist and take your pick...

Chuck
iMac G4 laptop and eMac....

On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:52 PM, Werner Fehlauer wrote:

Jim - after more than 30 years of using PCs (starting with an 8080 in kit form), I suppose I'm too old to switch to one of those Apple/Mac/ whatever boxes. Even worked up a box with a 6502 processor (as used in the early Apples) but on an S-100 bus, with a 300 baud modem using tape on the Kansas
City standard.  In those days memory was around $100 a K!
Ditched that and went to a Z80 and dual 8" floppy drives. Finally sprung for
a complete PC when the company offered them on an employee plan. Have
probably gone through almost a dozen "bigger and better" ones over the
years.
Always heard that they were the greatest for publication and artwork, but also was turned off by the higher pricing and lack of being able to kloodge
up a system using various and sundry after market accessories.

Werner

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Cathey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Accents

Just type in "alt 0-2-4-6" for ö; "alt 0-2-5-2" for ü, etc. That will
get
you past most German words used in these lists!

Should have bought a Mac: Umlaut-u (ü) is Alt-u-u, umlaut-anything is
alt-u-anything.  All the basic euro-accents are that way, associated
with their most common (in English) letter.  Cedilla is alt-c ç, the
'elan' accent alt-e-e é, circumflex is alt-i- î, Alt-a is å, alt-o is
ø, alt-n-n is ñ, etc.  (Oh, I forgot to do alt-u-o: ö.  Alt-u-i is ï.)

These ALL from memory, no stinking charts needed!  This keyboard
input method has been there since the beginning.  (To be fair, so
has the alt-numeric input of the PC, though I find the numbers
completely unmnemonic.)

For the less common ones I also have to use the chart application,
but you can go surprisingly far without it.

-- Jim