?? I don't have  an "Alt" key on my Imac.  What gives?
On 2/19/07, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just type in "alt 0-2-4-6" for ö; "alt 0-2-5-2" for ü, etc.  That will
> get
> you past most German words used in these lists!

Should have bought a Mac: Umlaut-u (ü) is Alt-u-u, umlaut-anything is
alt-u-anything.  All the basic euro-accents are that way, associated
with their most common (in English) letter.  Cedilla is alt-c ç, the
'elan' accent alt-e-e é, circumflex is alt-i- î, Alt-a is å, alt-o is
ø, alt-n-n is ñ, etc.  (Oh, I forgot to do alt-u-o: ö.  Alt-u-i is ï.)

These ALL from memory, no stinking charts needed!  This keyboard
input method has been there since the beginning.  (To be fair, so
has the alt-numeric input of the PC, though I find the numbers
completely unmnemonic.)

For the less common ones I also have to use the chart application,
but you can go surprisingly far without it.

-- Jim