So-it had new glow pugs two years ago-they don't have the toaster wires but
have red insulated wire running between them-sure looks like series to
me-given my limited knowledge of electricity. I looked for fuse-don't se
any listed.

With regular insulated wires, it's likely you have a converted parallel
system.  If you had series plugs wired up without the toaster racks
they'd probably last for one or two starts before burning up.  Think
of what regular light bulbs do on 220V!

But, I am wondering- is it the relay? Or a GP failure? Why is the dash light
coming on when I start it and not on glow?

The light is often driven as a diagnostic measure.  But, without
knowing _exactly_ what circuit you have (and conversions are always
problematic this way) it's difficult to tell.

Fortunately the electrical diagnosis is fairly easy, for those
who know how to do it.  Step one is to see if your plugs are
getting any juice or not.

-- Jim