the adjustment is done with shims. It is a pain in the butt unless you have a selection of extra shims on hand. What I had to do the first time, was take a card write down the 8 valve positions and then mark down the existing clearance for each valve. Then you have to take out the shims of the valves that need adjustment and mark down what you have. I put those in the third row on the card.

Unless you have the luxury of leaving the car sit while taken apart for a few days, the next step is to put it all back together. Order the shim sizes you need (Rusty has em)

When you get the shims, then you pull out the ones you need to adjust, then put the ones that are the right size for another position into their new position, and put the new shims in the correct position. The size is supposed to go down so you can read the size next time. Then turn it over a few times and measure the clearance to be sure they are correct. wrap up the used shims because next time you may be able to reuse some of them.

SAVE the CARD! Next time, you will be able to get the existing shim size from the card. Just measure the clearance, figure out what shims can be used in new positions, and if you need to order any new shims. Once in a while I was able to adjust the valves with existing shims and my spares. Having a metric micrometer is handy for the shims that some bozo put in with the numbers up so the cam wears off the size.

You are supposed to have a special took to depress the valve so you can pull the shim. I never had the special tool.

I love the OM 60x engines! thousands and millions of miles and you never have to adjust the valves. The Wabbits are nice because of the 50-60 mpg. Now tell me again why a 40 mpg prius is supposed to be so great....... .......................... ..................... oh yeah, cause they are so ugly.

Lt Don's Quantum is WAY more car than a POS prius.    (IMNTBHO)

Loren
78 Wabbit Dissel (gone on to somewhere) (probably became a 92 buick that is now a stinking ugly prius)
83 Quantum 5 spd turbodiesel, (now Lt Don's)

At 08:01 AM 4/6/2007, you wrote:

Kevin Kraly wrote:

> Hi, Harry, and thanks for the info. 67hp is pretty good for a light, little
> Rabbit.  I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.  Do these 1.7L?
> engines require periodic valve clearance adjustment?

I believe all the bunny motors, gas and diesel, required valve adjustments.
Which is yours, btw? Diesel (1.6L?) won't be anywhere near 70hp, but the
early gas engines were in that range. I'd pull the spark (or glow) plugs,
squirt in some oil, and crank it a while after the oil pressure comes up,
then reinstall the plugs and attempt to start.