Because many of thier customers must see the oil drain out into the pan. Too many would doubt the oil sucker. Or maybe it's just because drain pans require no maintenance or electricity to run.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] another reason to do your own work

I've never personally had a shop not tighten the plug.  Another common
mistake is they will overtigten and strip out the threads in the pan,
or on the bolt.

I did have a shop not adequately tighten a spin-on filter, luckily I
noticed it before any damage was done.

Last time I was in one of those quick-change shops, they wanted to
sell me a "upgraded" drain plug, I think it's one that has a valve
built into it, probably to reduce incidences of over/undertigtening.

I wonder why these places don't just suck the oil out from the top
side.

Allan

"Mike Canfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

They will likely have insurance at the shop to cover a new engine.

At least the ones around here say they do.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sunil Hari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>