This happened to my dad's 2003 Jetta that he purchased used. It was a dealer trade, so the selling dealer wasn't who serviced it. Unfortunately, I wasn't with him. Enough damage occurred to cause a rod knock which they wouldn't fix. I would have advised him to run it until it seized so that the warranty would have covered it. He walked to the nearest store and bought some oil to put in, and it ran right out, of course. He knew right then what was up. It had to be towed in, but once it was filled with oil and had a new plug installed, it ran with the detectable knock. I do like the idea of changing the oil from the top which is the ONLY way I do it now.

Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
1983 300SD 266K miles, Ursula
1978 VW Rabbit, FNU, LNU