Traditionally, there was always a BIG quality step from Renault up to any other
French car. Worse still were the US-built Renaults, which were equipped with
baroque AMC interiors and poorly tested equipment specific to the US-market.
Even in France, the state-owned Renault's products were long known for their
crummy quality -- until recently. They are the GM of France.

Having owned and driven Peugeots, Citroens, and Renaults of varying vintage,
the Renaults were always pedestrian and poorly built in comparison. Engines
were usually pretty good (except when the product of joint development, e.g.
the Alliance engines, which were done with Volvo) but everything around them
was crap. Peugeot was the boring man's Citroen. Very bourgeois, very
understated, but usually very durable and with that timeless Pininfarina
styling (205, 306, 405, 406, 504, 505, 605 etc). Citroens were top-of-the-line,
but often either bizarre at the high end (DS) or ridiculously simple (2CV),
both extremes bearing unconventional engineering solutions from a company that
encouraged innovation.

The Renaults of the last 5-7 years are MUCH better (and this isn't easy for a
Citroen man to admit), with great interiors and excellent fit & finish
throughout. And if you're wondering about recent improvements at Nissan, look
no further than Renault's influence for the explanation.

The French car industry went through its lowest ebb in the 1980s and 1990s.
Their current products, no matter which company, are generally very good. In
fact, in diesel technology they've often lead the world.

D.

--
David Bruckmann, Toronto, Canada.
Current Reality: