"Zoltan Finks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'll hopefully be selling my car very soon, and I thought that forms
> of payment such as certified check, or money order were some of the
> safest ways to go (as opposed to a personal check). But now I see
> that a certified check seems to be the weapon of choice in the
> scammers' arsenal?

There are some certified check forgery scams.  Not only that, but a
certified check can still have a "stop payment" placed on it.  Red
flags are raised if the buyer shows up with a check for more than the
purchase price and wants you to refund the difference.

However if you call the issuing bank and verify the check it is
probably safe.  I've also heard it's a good idea to conduct the
transaction *at* your bank, your bank can probably take steps to
verify the certified check.

If you have doubts, hang onto the title for 7 days until the check
clears and then send it to the buyer by certified mail.

Cash always works, as do wire transfers, though they offer little
protection to the buyer so they may balk at that.

--
1983 300D
1966 230