That encapsulates it, sad as it is. I a glad I do not ride a motorcycle
anymore. Things have changed from really bad to ridiculously bad.

Funny, when I'm out road-riding on a bicycle, most people around here, I
must admit, show the decency to pull somewhat to the left and provide safety
and respect to bicyclists as they pass them. BTW, the law is something like
3 or 4 feet, and if there is not room to provide that amount of space,
drivers are required to wait at a safe distance behind the bicycle until
they can safely pass them - just as with slow-moving farm equipment. (And
no, I am not in support of bicyclists arrogantly taking up too much space in
the roadway - they do not have the right to do so). Surprisingly often,
though, the drivers who do not give you a respectful berth actually are
closest to you as they pass you, then you notice that they drift to the left
after they are past you. No sense to it. I don't think that it's very often
an intentional thing.

And yes, Robert, as to your having to scurry out of the way of blissfully
speeding cars (while you're pushing a baby carriage no less!!): I have
recently come to recognize why speeding cars coming down my street tick me
off so much. It's about a balance of power - cars against pedestrians. To
quickly illustrate this, picture downtown Chicago (or Boston, where it is
common knowledge that you don't step off the curb, or it's your ass) and
compare it with small town rural America (as we have historically known it).
In the former, the cars have the power - it is accepted that people had damn
well better keep their hides out of the way of traffic, or it's curtains,
and it will be the fault of the pedestrian. In the latter, the driver who
hits a pedestrian would be considered reckless and a scourge to society.

So when I see our rapidly growing town getting more red-light-runners and
cel-phone-yapping reckless drivers, I realize that the power balance is
shifting from the pedestrian to the car driver - the sad natural
progression.

Ranting must be done once in a while.

Brian