John, I can't imagine what you have been through.  My utmost sympathies.
Being reminded of what can happen, I'll love mine even more.
BillR

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of John Robbins
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:02 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Road Bicycling and Walking Vs. Drivers_was Fuel
mileage

My wife passed away at the beginning of this month while she was road
bicycling...

She was riding home from work in Huntsville (she co-ops there, I'm in
Starkville at the moment) with a friend.  Its a 15 mile ride into work
and there have been a group of people doing it for about three years now
without incident.  They take a bunch of winding two lane roads that
avoid as many of the major intersections and traffic as possible.  They
all wear helmets.  They were riding basically on the white line to let
the few cars they did see have plenty of room.  So they did everything
right to be good safe bicyclists and avoid getting in a wreck.
Accidents still happen though because for some reason (hitting the tire
of the guy in front, hitting a rock in the road or something) Jenn lost
  control of her bike and veered into oncoming traffic.  The car did her
absolute best to avoid Jenn...  it was the 4th car they had seen on
their 8 or so miles on the road.

No matter how safe you try to make things accidents still happen.  Just
do the best that you can and what your comfortable with.

http://www.bradfordokeefe.com/obituaries/view_obit.php?id=2131

John