"R A Bennell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So, what is the going rate of "road tax" for hybrid electric
> vehicles?  Do we calculate KWH and apply an electric tax?  How about
> a pedal car?  Do we tax the fries and burger consumed for lunch as a
> "motive fuel"?

Funny you bring that up, in fact the taxing authorities are in a quiet
panic because if real gains in fuel economy come to pass, they are in
for a severe hit in the pocket book.  Even discounting the false
economy of the hybrid vehicle, conventional gasoline and diesel
passenger vehicles today can achieve 40+ MPG, and if this is the next
"wave" of what people buy the resulting drop in fuel consumption is
going to put the pinch on budgets.

[...]

> I really have to think that it is never going to become a widespread
> source of power.  It is more of a Mother Earth News hippie back to
> the land sort of idea.  Not very practical for most of us in urban
> settings with no barn to store the mess.

You are correct, and as more light is shined into the dark corners of
the bio fuel world, we find that it is not as environmently "friendly"
as it might first appear, either.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1909827.ece

--
1983 300D