In December I bought a 190D off of Kaleb.... I've put about 7k miles on it since then, and have decided to sell it. The main reason is that there was some hidden rust that put the car in the "not worth making nice" category in my book. There is nothing keeping it from being a reliable daily driver, but to me it just isn't worth doing. I also want a turbo :)

http://starquake.ath.cx/mercedes/190D_ForSale/

The Ugly:

-- Rust. 3/4 jack points + chunks missing out of the "frame" part of the unibody -- Transmission shifts like complete crap. Could be a vacuum issue, could be a modulator issue, I just haven't taken the time to look into it. Transmission also sometimes (done it about 5 or 6 times so far) flares for about 3-4 seconds between 2-3. -- Vacuum leak in the HVAC system. Worked great when the car was bought, developed a leak sometime along the way (tranny shifted the same regardless). Went to full heat so hacked in a manual shutoff valve where the aux pump is. Aux pump is still there so as soon as vac leak is fixed can plumb everything back as it should be. -- Suspension is really squirrelly. Gets really jumpy above 75. Rear end makes popping noises around town/bumps. The rear links need replacing basically.

The bad:

-- Motor mounts are worthless
-- None of the windows on the passenger side work. IIRC, the lights dim when the switches are pressed which means its something with the regulator/motor. -- Sunroof doesn't work. Don't remember if the lights dim or not... could be a fuse or disconnected switch. Or not...
-- I'm taking the stereo ;)
-- No cruise actuator. Status of the rest of cruise control system is unknown. -- There is what appears to be an entire chocolate milkshake that was spilled on the floor underneath both front seats. I think the only way to get it up would be to tear out some of the floor insulation. It isn't noticeable with the floor mats down, and it doesn't smell... -- A brake light is burnt out (maybe a reverse light as well, don't remember). -- The speedo is psychotic. At 55mph it is about accurate below 55 indicated speed is higher than actual and above 55 indicated speed is lower than actual. What is broken to cause this is a mystery to me! -- Tires will need replaced in the near future. They are close to the wear markers and have some cracking on the sidewall. -- Before my time the car was rear-ended and whoever did the repair job did a horrible one. You have to *slam* the trunk to get it to close, and there is general funkiness around the right rear taillight. See pics. Trunk doesn't lock. No leaks though! -- Cracked dash (hard to see in pics) and the shifter wood trim doesn't seat properly.

The Good:
-- A/C is R12. I tore a seal on the new aux fan temp switch, and it has all leaked out (see pic of R/D for all the oil residue). I'll get a replacement seal and recharge if interested. A/C blew 38-40 vent temps while driving. New expansion valve. -- Seats are pretty decent. Only a single tear on the drivers bolster. Rest of them are fine and are pretty clean looking too! -- E-Code headlights. They're the sealed beam replacements. Cheapie eBay replacements, but the light output is good.
-- Gets good gas mileage.  I got 36mpg with the A/C on going 70.
-- Headgasket was replaced recently
-- All new glow plugs and injectors.
-- Looks good from 30 feet

Included parts:

--Voltage regulator
--Serp. belt
--Strut mount
--motor mounts

Think there is another part or two... can't remember at the moment.

Also, I am sure I have missed things that are wrong with it. Maybe a thing or two that is good about it, but mostly things that are wrong with it... The car *is* the same age as I am!

I bought it off of Kaleb for $1500. That is what I want for it. I know with the rust it probably isn't worth that, but thats what I want for it anyway...

Car is in Starkville, MS 39759.

Thanks!
John

PS. Here are the pics Kaleb took when I bought it:
http://www.okiebenz.com/pics/84190D/