> other vehicles with this engine.) The problem I foresee is how to
> govern
> the engine to run at a constant 3000 rpm in order to maintain a stable
> voltage and frequency under varying load. Can the existing MW pump be
> converted to operate in constant rpm mode?

Probably, I think the tradeoff between constant-rpm and
constant-torque (if you will) is set by spring ratios,
but finding someone who knows enough about it to actually
make that conversion may be difficult.  You might contact
your local Bosch pump shop to see if they can help.  The
one here said they only saw such pumps every couple of
years, however, and had little practical experience with
them.  They offered to have me send mine out to some shop
in CA!  (Cummins/Dodge 24-valve rotary pumps, on the other
hand, they work on all day every day...)

The IP in the Frankenheap (vacuum-operated) seems to
be a 'tractor' pump already, it definitely drives a
bit differently than most other cars.

The cruise control system could be adapted, but I'm
sure the PID feedback loop constants are all wrong
for that mode.  I personally would be more comfortable
dinking with one of those than the guts of the IP,
your mileage may vary.  It would be better too, if
you planned to have the engine as a spare for one of
your rides.  Less modifications to undo.

The speed control doesn't need to be all that elaborate
to be practical, my Hercules just has a flyweight governor
that runs the throttle plate.

If all you need is 10kW you'd probably be better served
with the 1500 RPM 4-pole generator head.  Quieter, and
probably much thriftier.  Such heads are generally much
better constructed as well, and much more likely to
last longer.

-- Jim