Ya, consumer reports sawed a bunch in half a year back or so.
They said the 12 year ones were seriously different inside.
Better quality, better durability, better engineering.  In fact price
versus what you got was way better.

But I do recall they said the  3 versus the 5 year ones were the same.

This did not stop my 12 year GE one from leaking in the first six
months.
On the other hand they replaced it at no costs for anything that
afternoon.

On Aug 3, 2007, at 6:15 PM, LWB250 wrote:

> Having just purchased and installed a water heater
> last weekend, I would beg to differ with you on
> that....
>
> Yes, the warranty does work out to about $10/year as
> you move up the scale, however, there are also
> differences in construction and components as well.
>
> For instance, the 6 year warranty heater I considered
> had plain copper elements.  The 12 year warranty
> heater ($70 more) had stainless steel.  It also had a
> solid state controller that monitors usage and
> "learns" the usage patterns, using them to turn down
> the heater when there is no demand expected (like in
> the middle of the night.)
>
> I have no idea what the value of the additional items
> is from a manufacturing standpoint, suffice to say
> that they are probably worth the difference.
>
> Dan

John
1983 300TDt  386k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  200k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 192k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)