On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:46:34 -0700 "Alex Chamberlain"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/14/07, Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Found a dial indicator on eBay which has 0.0001" resolution (quite
> > adequate for adjusting front wheel bearings :-) ) for $15. The fellow
> > says he has 12, so I thought I'd pass the information along.
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/dial-indicator_W0QQitemZ200146195835QQihZ010QQcategoryZ25272QQcmdZViewItem
> >

> I've never done wheel bearings. Don't you need a hook or at least some
> way to attach a wire to test the preload?  I can't tell from the
> picture whether this item has a suitable fixture.

You fasten the dial indicator to the brake disk hub with a magnetic base
and put the tip of the indicator on the end of the spindle. Then you grab
the brake disk with both hands and move it in and out. The amount of
movement the dial indicator should show should be about 0.0005". [That's
the gist of what the manual says, anyhow.]

Craig