>> A friend of mine has a 78 450SL. I think it is a turd, but he
>> is fixing everything on it and trying to make it perfect.
>
> Make him read the current Cathey SL saga.

You too can invest hundreds of hours and countless dollars
in order to end up with a car that'll be worth maybe 4500
or so.  (OK, so far I'm only up to 86 hours or so, and about
$50, but I'm being careful with the money.  It helps to be
handy.  And fearless.)

The thing is, it only hurts if you try to make it into
more than it is.  I'm having fun turning this basket case
(but rust-free, and sound) into a decent inexpensive convertible.
Car-proud?  Spend more money and get a good one to start with.
I'm not afraid to drive this one in the rain!  When I'm done
fixing it up I sell it.  (Or turn it into an RV toad, but my
wife is resistant.)

The saga:  http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/SL2.html

-- Jim