From: Zoltan Finks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 11/02/07 01:56 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT things you notice on a bicycle
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Well that's warm and fuzzy, Allan. Don't worry, I'm ok.

I do realize riding on the sidewalk presents a problem. But, no, I
would do it again. The  alternative was to ride down a half a mile to
the next light and turn around in order to get to work on time. Wasn't
willing to do that.

In the case of this crash, though, (and it may sound like I'm
attributing malice, but I really don't think I am in this case), I
really think, the driver was trying to cut it close to make a point
with me. I was traveling toward oncoming traffic and there weren't
many visual obstructions to hide me. What's more, I intentionally
slowed down quite a bit because of the driveways, and kept my speed
steady. I don't think he intended to really hit me - you'd have to be
crazy to bring that kind of trouble on yourself. But he timed it a bit
wrong and clipped me. He was a professional driver of a meduim sized
truck (was driving his sports car in the crash though).

My argument was that it's never okay to hit someone with your car no
matter what. And I was only asking for the cost to replace my bent rim
- no more.

But now as I write this, I realize I will not have a counter-argument
for the inevitable: "if you do something stupid and get hurt, it's
your fault; and drivers can't be expected to make up for incorrect
behavior". So I am not certain where justice lies in that case.

The guy's attitude about the thing, and the fact that he said at the
scene that he'd pay, I think half the cost, and the fact that he gave
me an incorrect name and then hid from me when I came calling, made me
want to pursue the issue with him.

Brian