"Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Air bags were not developed for people who do not wear seatbelts,

I remember a magazine ad (I think it was Olds, or some GM marque)
where they said their new air bag system eliminated the need to wear
"inconvenient" and "uncomfortable" seat belts, in fact if you ordered
the air bag system you could order the car *without* seat belts if you
wanted...  They may have been not have been developed to eliminate
seat belts, but at least some automakers marketed them this way.

> they were developed to work along with seatbelts because a seatbelt
> will not prevent you from over-extending your spine & neck and a
> seatbelt will not prevent you from having a collision with the
> steering wheel.

I guess anecdotal evidence does not prove anything, but when I got hit
in an offset head-on, both cars going 30 - 40 MPH, I did not hit the
steering wheel OR the airbag because my seat/shoulder belt held me in
place.  I was completely uninjured.

> Seat belts were invented to prevent you from being ejected from the
> car. Shoulder harnesses were an improvement over just seat belts,
> but not much of one.

Shoulder belts with inertial locking or active tensioning are quite an
improvment IMO, they keep your upper body from pitching forward into
the steering wheel or dash, whereas lap belts do not.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1966 230