Thanks guys for all the info!  It looks like $20 a square foot for a
nearly finished traditional construction (12' height, insulation, etc),
and significantly less for a metal building.  Depending on the
neighborhood I have no problems with a metal building.  How easy are
they to insulate though?  I'd definitely want to have A/C in the shop,
and, although it doesn't have to be super well insulated, would like the
A/C to actually have a chance at keeping up.

Harry Watkins wrote:
> You can build mortarless concrete block walls very quickly and easily done.
> My wife and I built our 32' X 60' X 10' basement walls 11 years ago and came
> within 1/2" both level and square.  Our previous building experience was a
> leaky dog house.
>
> After the wall is up, we troweled (both sides) on a product from Quikcrete
> called Surface Bonding Material IIRC.  Kept it damp for three days with a
> battery operated timer and lawn sprinklers, that's it.  We would build the
> wall off the truck until it got too high.

This is very interesting!  Although I don't know if I want to DIY this
for a garage, it will be fantastic for the next shed I build :)

Thanks again!
John