From: "archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 12/17/07 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Another Generator Question

During the 1990s a new rule in the Code specified that the ground rod
should
be tied to the rebar in the buildings concrete slab.  This rule was
added
about the time our house was built and I'm not sure if the electrician
did
that.  Do you know the reason for that rule?
Here in the lightning capital of the world, would it be worthwhile to
drill
into the footing, find a rebar, and weld a piece to it and then to the
ground rod?
Also, there has been some debate about whether the underground service
entrances required in this and other subdivisions exposed the houses to
more
lightning strikes; the theory being that lightning struck the old
overhead
pole systems much oftener than it struck houses.
Thanks,
Gerry