Timothy Robinson wrote:
> Interesting note, if this was 50 years ago the lake house was wired, at that
> time often metal water lines were used as a primary ground ond a driven
> ground didn't exist. I've encountered such houses where at some time water
> lines were replaced and NO ground exists. Most often I've discovered this
> when a homeowner was having trouble with computer hardware and surge
> protection.

My personal wiring spree was started when touching my computer case
would electrocute me!  Turns out that if you place a small capacitor
(bypass cap) between line and ground and then another one between
neutral and ground (WTF were they thinking?) you will get 60V on a
floating ground.  Don't remember what piece of equipment caused it, but
I've rewired over half of my house now!

> In some older homes wiring is kinda like tinkering with my old 300. Rather
> than "fix something that ain't broke" I get this "wild hair" to monkey with
> something or replace an old part with new and I cause a a major repair.

Right there with you!  :)

John
--Managed to turn replacing the HVAC unit into a bathroom remodel