Here's my rant on the subject!

My dad sold some land to a contractor. (Big mistake IMO as now parents' once
peaceful place in the country is now surrounded by four dozen residentials
with 2.4 kids ea..)

The contractor seemed to be a reputable sort, building 1800-2200 sq. ft.
houses on generous lots. I wound up contracting electrical so in a way I was
compensated even though I originally objected to selling the land around my
childhood home. The work netted as much to me in income over five years as
dad received for the sale of the land.

Those first houses were in the $180K range. I take pride in my work usually
performing well above minimum code. Actually, I treat a "spec" house much
like a custom included many extras like home networking, generator prep'd
electrical services, etc.

Over about five years that average price of $180K became $240K, $280K and
last account was in the $320-340K range. The contractor started replacing
subs with cheaper/faster. It reached a point that he was asking me to
eliminate the extras or even to "overlook" code saying, "..if the inspector
doesn't catch it..." I don't compromise things like that! The drywall subs
who used to do a good job suddenly are replaced by guys who hack away with
no pride. The haste really begins to show in the finish work. All the while
the contractor is cutting corners to see a bigger bottom line. Finally I was
frustrated and insulted him (as his wife said, "Hurt his feelings") by
telling him I was ashamed to work on his projects. We parted ways.

The sad part of the story is of those young homeowners who with two incomes
barely qualified for those adjustable rate interest only mortgages. With a
jump in building starts the past few years and several such old family farms
giving way to the surveyor suddenly it looks as though the market is turning
a little soft and some of those pricies might fall a little. I hate to think
the finiancial outcome for those young homeowners.

My great grandparent's purchased 800 acres in 1888 for $0.50 and acre. Of
that land the largest block still held in the family is 150 acres. The price
of land has escallated as have property taxes. The single 45 y/o cousin who
owns that land is losing his resolve as he stares through a vodka bottle at
the $21,000. annual tax bill. Out of state developers and real estate agents
are beating a path to his door.