You know, I can understand in emergency situations telling someone "this
isn't correct but you can hook up a generator this way..." As a licensed
electrical contractor I've seen a LOT of dangerous situations. In good
conscience I can't walk away thinking that I left the impression something
is safe. I admit that I'm quite "anal retentive" compulsive/obsessive but I
often get angry when I see that someone has endangered their family (kids)
unwittingly just thinking that "if a light bulb burns it's safe."

Most often I wind up correcting things at my expense 'cause I understand
nowadays some families are only trying to make ends meet. Also, it usually
appears to be a scam when a workman tries to "sell someone" on something
extra (like the mechanic asking if you want him to replace the blinker fluid
while he has the car...).

This is another reason why I ALWAYS insist on pulling a permit for
inspection whenever I'm doing a service change or any similar repair. I
explain to the homeowner ahead what items the inspector will require be
corrected or brought up to current code. This protects the homeowner but
also me as the "last electrician of record." I've always kept in the back of
my mind that when there is a house fire and the cause can't be determined
they always say, "it was caused by an electric problem."