Hi,
  I still have a 1976 Ford LTD full size wagon with 145k miles on a 400m w/c6.
Original miles on the trans and never rebuilt.
  The engine developed a hot off highway thrust bearing noise at 70k and I
installed a new set of bearing inserts and an oil pump. Great car even after
putting it in Lake Rathbun for 30 minutes. (1999) When nothing starts the wagon
sitting out always starts. It gets 12mpg !
  Ed in Chicago

Timothy Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I'll never forget about 1978 I had to pick up a German couple at the
airport. I was driving a Lincoln TownCar, the last year of the 460 cu in V8.

They remarked about how nice the American cars were, how much more "plush"
were the interiors than the German autos.

That's something I remember. Sorry, but the Lincoln was a POS and six months
after purchase and 48 miles out of warranty (12K mile warranties at the
time) when the transmission gave trouble I dumped it vowing never again to
buy an American vehicle.

The "status of Mercedes Benz" later became popular (Perhaps it was that JR
Ewing drove one on "Dallas?"). Still, I remember first impression that the
Germans car (interiors) seemed rather spartan compared to the "frufru of
velour" on the American sedans.